Get butterflies before job interviews? Don’t worry. You’re not alone. In fact, the feeling is almost universal: 93% of job seekers report feeling nervous before these crucial career turning points.
You can ease this anxiety by knowing that you’re perfect for a particular job. A top recruiter, like SmartTalent, can connect you with the ideal employers for you. That way, you can have the confidence (as well as the expert support) you need to ace the interview process.
Beyond this, preparation plays a key role in maximizing your chances of interview success. You’ll get an edge by knowing what to expect and taking steps to give your best possible performance.
With that in mind, here is a job interview checklist to help you prepare and to give you the foundation you need to ease your concerns:
Research the Company
Headed into a conversation, learn as much as you can about a prospective employer. This will let you skip the basics during the interview and take the discussion to a higher level. That way, you’ll get more out of the experience while simultaneously impressing your interviewers with your preparation and insights.
Here are some ways to discover information about a firm:
- Job Description
- Company Website
- Social Media Accounts
- Press Mentions
Make a List of Common Interview Questions
Most interviews follow a similar pattern. Of course, companies will have their own idiosyncratic questions. But many themes will repeat from conversation to conversation.
With that in mind, review the most common interview prompts and master your answers. Here are a few examples to keep in mind:
- Tell us about yourself.
- What about our company appeals to you?
- Why did you leave your previous job?
- What are your strengths/weaknesses?
- Where do you see yourself in 1/5/10 years?
- Describe a time you dealt with a difficult coworker/overcame a challenge at work.
Practice Your Answers
Once you narrow down the likely questions you will receive, practice your answers. Craft pithy, informative responses that highlight your best qualities and your top accomplishments. Make sure to target your approach to the particular situation, using your research into the company to guide your efforts.
Then, practice these responses out loud. This effort will help your answers come more automatically when you perform them live. However, one warning: don’t become robotic in your presentation. Learn the answers well but try to remain natural in the moment.
Honing your interview skills gets easier when you have the right guidance. SmartTalent can give you direction that will let you get the most out of every answer. Turn to SmartTalent for the guidance and support you need to optimize your job search.
Compose the Questions You Want to Ask
Of course, most of your attention will focus on the questions you receive during the interview. However, spare some time to think about what you want to ask your interviewers. Have thoughtful, research-based questions in mind when it comes to your time to mine for some information.
Get the Details Right on the Day of the Interview
When the day of the interview comes, you need to be ready. Beyond the research and preparation that goes into getting your answers perfect, there are logistical details you need to get right as well. Here are some of the steps you should take to make sure things go smoothly:
- Pick out your power wardrobe.
- Plan the interview logistics. (This includes getting to the location, finding parking, etc. Or for remote interviews, making sure you have reliable internet, etc.)
- Write a list of things to bring to the interview, and make sure you have them when it’s time for the event. (Some of this will only apply to in-person interviews):
- ID (driver’s license, passport)
- Cash (for parking or a bottle of water, etc.)
- Multiple resume copies
- Any requested materials or documents
- Get there at the right time (not late, but not too early, either).
- Learn relaxation techniques so you can enter the interview calm, collected, and confident.
Ready to succeed at your next job interview? If you still have doubts, partner with SmartTalent to improve your interview skills. You’ll get the guidance you need to put your best foot forward.
Contact SmartTalent today to learn how to improve your interview game.